Instructions for Daily Bandage Changes
These instructions are for daily bandage changes and ointment application after Mohs Micrographic Surgery. They should be followed closely to ensure the quickest and most effective healing process.
- Keep initial dressing DRY and do not remove for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, shower with the dressing on to loosen the adhesive, then carefully remove the white pressure bandage.
- Wash gently with mild soap and pat the area dry with a clean towel that has not been used on any other areas of the body.
- Begin daily bandage changes as advised at the time of discharge:
- If prescribed, apply a liberal amount of Mupirocin and Gentamicin ointments mixed 1:1. Squeeze a pea-sized amount of each ointment onto a clean surface and mix together using a cotton-tipped applicator.
- OR: Apply a liberal amount of Vaseline or Aquaphor ointment to the wound using a cotton-tipped applicator.
- Cut a piece of Telfa or other non-adhesive pad to fit just over the wound, and secure in place with paper tape. For wounds on the extremities where skin is delicate, secure the pad in place with a Coban wrap.
- Clean your scissors with alcohol before and after use. If wound is draining, you may have to add gauze over the non-stick pad.
- Continue changing the dressing daily.
If your surgical site is on the lower extremities, cleanse the area AFTER showering with Hibiclens (Clorhexidine Gluconate) soap, which can be purchased from your local drugstore
If instructed to do so, send photos of the healing wound via Patient Gateway for Dr. Mosher’s examination.
WATCH FOR SIGNS OF INFECTION: REDNESS, SWELLING, HEAT, PAIN, YELLOW (NOT CLEAR) DISCHARGE
If you experience any of the symptoms above, contact our office during normal business hours at: (781)-591-4234. IN CASE OF POST-OP EMERGENCY 6PM-6AM: call (617) 855-5318. PLEASE LEAVE FULL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, AND DATE OF SURGERY. THIS LINE MAY ONLY BE USED IN FIRST 48 HOURS POST-OP. After that, please call our office at (781)-591-4234 during normal business hours.