What is isotretinoin?
Isotretinoin (commonly referred to as Accutane) is an oral retinoid that is used to treat acne and other dermatologic conditions. It is FDA-approved for the treatment of severe acne that is unresponsive to other treatments. Treatment usually lasts 4-6 months.
Will it help my acne?
iPLEDGE is a government program that regulates the use of isotretinoin due to the medications potential to causes serious birth defects.
- Confirm that you are on 2 forms of contraception (females of child-bearing potential)
- Confirm you understand side effects and that you will not donate blood or share this medication (all patients)
- Men or females who cannot get pregnant: No waiting period, treatment can start after signing consent forms, creating your iPLEDGE account, and doing baseline blood work.
- Females of child-bearing potential: In addition to above, you must be on two forms of birth control prior to starting. You must have two negative pregnancy tests, at least 30 days apart.
Lock out period:
You will only get a 30-day prescription at a time due to iPLEDGE requirements. You must return to your dermatologist’s office every month in order to get a refill.
- Men or females who cannot get pregnant: must pick up prescription within 30 days
- Females of child-bearing potential: must pick up prescription within 7 days
What to avoid when on treatment:
- You must not get pregnant 1 month prior to and 1 month after taking isotretinoin
- Females of child-bearing potential will have to take a pregnancy test 1 month after completing therapy
- Do not donate blood ▪ Do not have cosmetic procedures such as waxing, dermabrasion, and laser therapy while on isotretinoin and for 6 months after therapy
- Do not use any other acne treatments, discuss your skin care regimen with your dermatologist
Skin care while on isotretinoin:
- Dry eyes: Lubricating eye drops, do not get anti-redness drops
- Dry nose: Ayr nasal saline spray. Vaseline or Aquaphor ointment in the nares nightly.
- Dry lips: Hydrocortisone 1% lip balm multiple times per day. Vaseline or Aquaphor ointment.
- Dry skin on face: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel or CeraVe Ultra-Light Lotion
- Dry skin on body: CeraVe cream, Vanicream, Aquaphor ointment; ointments and creams are more effective than lotions
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT WWW.IPLEDGEPROGRAM.COM