Dry skin can be a real bummer. Here are Dr. Wise’s top 5 tips and tricks to help rehydrate the skin and the skin barrier:
5 Helpful Tips to Relieve Dry Skin
1. Take the temperature down a notch! It is a known fact that hot water strips your skin of its natural moisturizers and can lead to excessive dryness. We recommend lukewarm showers or baths limited to five to ten minutes maximum.
2. Avoid harsh and abrasive soaps and cleansers. Generally, we recommend non-soap or fragrance-free cleansers (we like Cetaphil or Dove unscented). If you are prone to dry skin, we would caution against the use of products that contain alcohol, peppermint, menthol, mint, citrus, eucalyptus, and all fragrances, whether natural or synthetic.
3. Apply moisturizer when you are still damp. After your shower or bath, pat dry and then apply your moisturizer head to toe. This will help to lock in the moisture to your very thirsty skin.
4. Creams and greasy ointments/balms are our top choice. When it comes to choosing a moisturizer, there are what seems like infinite options at the pharmacy. We recommend either creams (Cetaphil or Cerave cream that come in a tub) or ointments/balms (think Vaseline or Aquaphor). We know they may be greasy, but these work best, so give them a chance!
5. Think about adding a humidifier. Heating your home in the winter sucks out the moisture in the air and in your skin. Adding a humidifier helps to add that moisture back and can be a great help.
If your skin is cracked, broken down, or exceptionally itchy, we are happy to evaluate you in our office to provide a more comprehensive plan for you and perhaps add a prescription if needed.
At DermWellesley, your skin health is our top priority. Contact us to set up your consultation.